This is the recipe mentioned in the Back on My Feet Relay blog post. Great source of all natural energy for on the run, literally. It’s not quite a dehydrated banana chip because it has a little chew to it. It is both gluten free and vegan. This recipe makes roughly 80 chews. I found it in one of my favorite cook books Run Fast Eat Slow by Elyse Kopecky and Shalane Flanagan.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch think
- Preheat oven to 250 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush it with about 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil (a silicone basting brush works great).
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt.
- Spread our the bananas evenly on the backing sheet and brush each slice with the lemon mixture.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 2 hours. After 1 hour, remove from the oven. Use tongs to flip each banana slice and return them to the oven.
- Place the baking sheet on a wire rack to cool completely before storing in a mason jar or airtight container for up to 1 month.